Health insurance has become a crucial part of one’s life. It helps provide financial security and makes it easy to access quality healthcare services. Super top-up health insurance is a type of health insurance that offers supplementary coverage on top of existing coverage. It allows individuals to extend their current range by offering a higher sum insured and paying a certain premium. Super top-up health insurance helps to meet high medical costs that may arise due to long-term illnesses or major surgeries that incur huge medical bills. It is not only cost-effective but also extremely beneficial to those who are looking to store their savings during medical emergencies.
What Is Super Top-Up Health Insurance?
Super top up health insurance offers supplemental coverage over an existing health insurance policy. This type of health insurance increases an individual’s range and keeps medical expenses in check by providing a higher sum insured. It helps to safeguard you against high medical costs that may arise due to long-term illnesses or major surgeries that incur huge medical bills.
Benefits of Investing in Super Top-Up Health Insurance
- Cost-Effective – Super top-up plans are cost-effective and designed to help people save money during medical emergencies. They offer a higher sum insured at a low premium, thus allowing individuals to enjoy superior coverage at a pocket-friendly cost.
- Coverage of Advanced Medical Procedures – Super top-up plans offer coverage for advanced medical procedures and treatments such as organ transplants, chemotherapy, dialysis, robotic surgeries, etc. It helps to protect the pocketbooks of policyholders in times of medical emergency.
- Consolidation of Policies – Super top-up plans make consolidating existing health coverages from multiple sources easy into one policy. It reduces the policy’s complexity and simplifies the claims process.
The eligibility criteria for super top-up health insurance generally depend on the insurer. Most insurers require the policyholder to be between the ages of 18 to 65 years. Generally, individuals can purchase a super top-up plan with their spouse or family members. Certain prerequisites like medical tests or past medical history may need to be fulfilled to avail of the coverage.
Types of Super Top-Up Plans
Super top-up health insurance policies are generally of two types:
- Individual Super Top-up Plans – These plans offer coverage to a single individual. It covers the policyholder’s medical expenses in case of illness or injury.
- Family Floater Super Top-up Plans – Family floater health insurance offer coverage to a family that includes a spouse and children. It helps to cover the medical expenses of all the family members with one single policy.
The sum insured refers to the amount of money an individual is entitled to receive from their insurer in case of a medical emergency. The sum insured for a super top-up plan is usually higher than the regular sum insured by the health insurance plan. Generally, super top-up plans offer a sum insured ranging from Rs. 2 lakhs to Rs. 10 lakh.
Like all other policies, super top-up health insurance plans also have certain exclusions. Generally, insurers do not offer coverage for pre-existing diseases, cosmetic treatments, dental treatments, mental health issues, etc. It is important to go through the policy document carefully to ensure you know what is and what is not covered.
The super top-up health insurance claims process is similar to other health insurance policies. Generally, the insured has to fill out a claim form and submit the necessary documents to the insurer. Once the claim is approved, the insurer will pay out the sum insured for the expenses incurred.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Super Top-Up Insurance
- Higher sum insured
- Flexible coverage
- Covers advanced medical procedures
- Consolidation of policies
- Not suited for those with low coverage
- Pre-existing diseases are not covered
- Limited coverage of medical treatments
How to Choose a Super Top-Up Health Insurance?
When selecting a super top-up health insurance policy, it is important to consider certain factors such as the insurer, amount of coverage, exclusions, and claim process. It is also important to compare different policies to find the one that best suits your needs.
Super top-up health insurance and Family floater health insurance is a great way to prepare for any medical emergency. It helps to extend the coverage of your current health policy and keep your medical expenses in check. It is, therefore, important to consider factors like sum insured, exclusions, and eligibility criteria before investing in a super top-up plan.