Daily activities can be exhaustive, thus leaving the body tired & aching by the end of the day! The shoulders, which help the body carry even heavy weights, are sometimes the most impacted.
Shoulder pain could be very debilitating for the body, thus hindering the regular progress of your daily routine. Besides carrying weights, many other factors, like overuse, overexercising, injury, arthritis, etc., can also result in shoulder pain.
Your body, at this stage, is looking for instant shoulder pain relief. However, it is always better to go for natural relief for shoulder pain than just relying on some random shoulder pain medicines. There are various natural remedies available for shoulder pain relief. Let’s understand a few basic concepts before delving into the ever-useful natural ways for pain relief.
Your arms must be thankful that they have shoulders enabling their seamless movements! The shoulder is a complex joint consisting of bones, tendons, muscles, cartilage, and ligaments.
- The long humerus bone connects to the shoulder blade forming the glenohumeral joint.
- This joint is surrounded by tendons and muscles that provide it with the flexibility for movement.
- While there are various muscles making the shoulders, one vital group is the rotator cuff. The rotator cuff is composed of four types of muscles that provide stability to your shoulder and help in the rotation, movement, and lifting of your arms.
- The tendons connect the bones to the muscles, while the ligaments connect the bones with each other.
- Furthermore, there are sac-like structures called bursae that provide a cushioning effect, thereby reducing friction during movements.
Having this basic understanding and know-how of simple terms may better help you comprehend the causes and appropriate treatments for your shoulder pain.
Common Causes of Shoulder Pain
Various causes could lead to pain in your shoulder, and you might need to seek medical help to get to the root cause. However, first, let’s see some common causes of shoulder pain-
- Overuse – Overusing shoulders, most probably through lifting heavy weights, can cause inflammation and pain in your shoulders. Other activities like continuous typing or indulging in sports can also cause stress in the muscles & tendons of the shoulders.
- Injury or accident – Injuries or accidents can cause a jerk or serious impairment resulting in shoulder pain. Most injuries result in rotator cuff damage, thus injuring the four muscles that provide stability to your shoulders. Another common problem seen due to an injury or overexertion is impingement syndrome. The syndrome occurs when the muscles and tendons compress against the bones of the shoulder joint.
- Arthritis – Arthritis (both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis) is a condition that leads to swelling in the joints. It may impact any joint of the body, including the shoulder joint.
- Frozen Shoulder Syndrome (FSS) – Many factors like improper blood flow, muscle weakness, or connective tissue changes can cause frozen shoulder syndrome. Through this syndrome, you may experience stiffness in your shoulder joint.
- Bursitis – Bursitis is a condition that impacts the bursae (discussed above) that provides cushioning comfort. Hence it impacts the overall shoulder mobility.
- Poor posture – Shoulder problems can also result from poor sitting or standing postures. Not following a proper posture can cause a number of problems, including shoulder impingement syndrome (discussed above).
- Tendinosis – This condition causes the tendons to swell, thus impacting the connection between the bones and the muscles.
The Natural Panacea
There are numerous natural ways and lifestyle changes that help provide shoulder pain relief.
- Gentle Exercises: Exercising is a vital activity and must always be a part of your daily routine. If your shoulder is in pain, performing gentle shoulder exercises can provide relief. The key is to remember that these must be done gently & you should avoid overexerting.
- Maintain proper posture: It is vital to take care of your posture while sitting, standing, and sleeping. Trying following an ergonomic workspace setup to avoid straining your shoulder muscles.
- Take enough rest: It is crucial to allow your body to rest enough during the day, especially if it is undergoing pain or discomfort of any sort. Any of these remedies or treatments would help only if you give proper rest to your body. While resting, you may also apply an ice pack to the affected area if there is inflammation. It provides a soothing effect.
- Herbal Supplements & Essential Oils: Herbal supplements like turmeric, menthol, peppermint, and essential oils like eucalyptus oil and lavender oil are known to have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Their soothing aroma also helps relieve tension and stress. There are various topical gels & sprays available that are composed of such natural ingredients & are powerful against bodily pains.
- Proper diet: They say there is no substitute for a balanced healthy diet. You must have a nutritious diet with adequate amounts of all the minerals and vitamins essential for the body. Foods with anti-inflammatory properties like omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin C (citrus fruits, strawberries, etc.) would be a good inclusion. It is advisable to avoid sugar, processed meats, trans fats, and refined carbs, as these may increase inflammation.
Get Relief for Your Shoulder Pain Now!
Now that you know very simple yet greatly effective natural remedies that can provide relief for shoulder pain, you should not suffer in pain!
You can avoid many such pains through simple lifestyle changes. However, if you experience shoulder pain or inflammation, it is always better to rely on natural treatments than go for synthetic drugs. If the pain doesn’t subside, you may need to take medications and physical therapy in addition to these remedies. It is always recommended to seek medical advice if you are facing continuous pain or discomfort in your shoulders or any body part, for that matter.